Monday, May 31, 2010

Laurence (or The Man Who Didn't Stop)

Laurence was a walker. From the beginning, his mother couldn't keep him in a seat. His teachers sent complaints home regularly. He never learned to read, and many at his church didn't enjoy his walks up and down the aisles on Sundays. Many would turn to stare at him as if he were the devil.

He was a walker.

Before he graduated he knew it was time to walk. He wanted to find out where the sun set and what happened to the land at the end of the world. He would walk through valleys and over mountains. So he kissed his mother's tears, shook his father's hand and headed west.

He didn't get far before Sammy showed up.

"Whatcha doin', Laurence?" Sammy said.

"Just walkin'. How do you know my name?" he asked.

"I know a lot of names around here. But you know that if you keep walking you won't be safe anymore, right?" Sammy licked his lips, "I'm sure your parents told you about the barrier. Well, have fun."

Sammy turned to walk back to town.

"Wait. What barrier?"

"Oh, they didn't tell you? Well, there's a protection around here. If you leave it, you'll be in danger. You see, Laurence, not everyone out there is a church-goer. In fact, some of them are downright heathens and you don't want to be around them."

So Laurence began walking again. This confused Sammy for a moment, but he quickly caught up with Laurence and the two walked side-by-side.

"Didnt you hear me? I said-"

Laurence cut Sammy off, "Yes, I heard you. And don't think for a moment that just cause I ain't learned and just cause I'm still young that I don't know what this is all about."

"What do you mean?"

"All those years I was walking up and down the aisles at church, I saw you. Whispering in the ears of the ladies who stared at me like I was a freak. But I wasn't listening to you. I was listening to the preacher teach us about going, and I was preparing myself.

"Jesus put us here for one reason. And that one reason is to serve Him. He says 'Go' so I'm going, and you can stay here, Sammy."

to be continued...

No comments: